Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Carranque









It´s the history of Spain that always has me captivated. The country´s past is one of great diversity. Within its rolling plains Spain hides the stories of various cultures that once came through. And when you uncover the tale behind each and every place you visit you start to wonder if you´ll ever find a place that´s what´s the word... (I almost forgot it over here)... dull. When I mentioned hidden stories I literally meant hidden.

Carranque; a small pueblo just North of Toledo, south of Madrid. Now you wouldn´t think much of this small village made up of mostly shrub filled plains. But in 1983, someone discovered a little part of the old Carranque just a meter beneath the ground. If you brush away the dirt you will find thousands of centimeter sized tiles that piece together a mossaic floor of a 4th century mansion. Touching an artifact over 1,006 years old is not something you get to do everyday. Rotary arranged this excursion and although most natives to Spain have probably never bothered to visit Carranque that didn´t take away from it´s mind boggling condition for its age. Picture an extremely large house with a floor completely covered with years work of intricate mossaic art, some of perfectly symetrical pictures and designs (parts even meant to appear 3-D) if you look close at the border of this picture --->



















Room by room I imagined walls where they use to stand, adding bustling servants and women of elegance. I felt like a child again traveling back in time. And when it came lunch time, skeptical if the food we packed would fill us, Kaylee and I completely forgot what meal times were like in Spain. Spaniards make sure that not a speck of food goes to waste. So when the Rotary members brought food to share they made sure we got our full share. But that's the simple hospitality they have here in Spain and they find it no inconvenience what so ever. There´s no question, they always show us a good time!

How many kisses do Spaniards greet with?