Two months have come and gone faster than I can say esternocleidomastoideo (happens to be longest word in Spanish). As time here keeps closing in I´m doing my best to take it by the horns of the toro. Where to begin... well, lets start from the top, January.
After a wonderful Christmas and Three Kings Day school started up once again. Kaylee and I went down to Majadahonda (a pueblo outside of Madrid) where we met...(aka took pictures) with the governor of the town for a feature in their local newspaper. Later we had coffee with a Rotary counselor and were further stuffed with a delicious meal at a friends, finished off with flan. On the 19th not only did I sing ¨Feliz CumpleaƱos¨ to mom back home but also to my host dad Javier. We celebrated with a traditional Yema cake (egg yoke and sugar) and presents. His favorite gift was the pig leg (jamon) Rocio bought for him ....which now hangs outside our back door! As you can imagine we´re still eating it. Kaylee, a couple Rotary friends and I finally took the initiative to see the inside of the Royal Palace here in Madrid. It was fit for a queen and king, there´s simply no other way to put it. It never ceases to amaze me what we can do here on a regular Saturday or Sunday to occupy the time. The next Friday, on my way to choir I guess you could say I stumble upon a blessing. I found a youth group I´m now attending at IBC with one of my best friends here, Kathryn.
February...the culprit of my late update...and highlight as well! I finally jumped off the waiting list into Spanish classes in a school of idioms. My English teacher found me the connection and I now attend the course every week day for 2 hours after school. It´s definitely a huge help and also a preparation for transforming into ¨tour-guide Shayna¨ for the month! I had three sets of wonderful visits starting the weekend of Valentines to the first week of March. The first was another exchange friend of mine, Susanne, from Holland. She came up from southern Spain for a few days to visit. Having used to live in Madrid she, some friends and I hung about our favorite places like Sol (center plaza of the city) and had a picnic in Retiro. The following week Whitney
Olson (a life-long family friend) came to see Spain from her exchange in the Netherlands. It was a great excuse to do all sorts of things around the city like go to a local flamenco restaurant, where we fell in love with the male dancers! Don´t forget the excuse to teach her the typical Spanish desserts, its on the top of guide rules. The whole time we couldn´t believe how our paths crossed. Never did I lean over to her while making mud pies as children and say, ¨Hey, so Whitney, metro in Madrid, Spain meet you there in 10 years. How does that sound?¨. We shared good laughs and gave one another a bit of needed familiarity. Her last day here my parents flew into town! I had always said for them not see all they had given me this
year would be unacceptable. Yet at the same time knowing life´s not as simple as that. It came with many prayers and gracious support from friends and family that they both got to spend their 50ths in Spain! My host family opened their house to them with absolutely no second thoughts for the entire trip. Rocio made sure that they were treated to as many of our delicious household Spanish meals as possible. Mom I think finally realized how much I will miss the food and that it has nothing to do with her cooking. Our first excursion was a 30 minute train ride to Segovia. We took the day
to stroll around the town´s Roman Aqueducts and enjoy a spectacular view from the castle tower. The 22nd was Dad´s birthday so we celebrated with a trip to Toledo. I don´t think anyone could have dreamt to give a better present than that. We came back that night and Javier and Rocio made a delicious birthday dinner of paella and traditional Spanish apple cake.
They even surprised him with a gift and an unknown number of candles. My host parents are crowned king and queen of hospitality in my book! My Rotary club also invited my parents to a lunch-in to get to know them, which was a really nice honor. They got to meet my wonderful councelor, Miguel and exchange chairman Tomasso! After showing my everyday life in Madrid, I surprised them with one last birthday gift. Rocio mentioned the authentic flamenco dancer Sara Barras who happened to be doing a show the dates they were here. So Wednesday night we watched the passionate, vibrant dance interpretation of Carmen. For the final leg of our trip together we traveled through Andalusia, beautiful, lush southern Spain. Our first two days were spent in Sevilla were we saw the tomb of Columbus, Reales Alcazares gardens, and enjoyed tapas by the river. Rocio, being a former resident of Sevilla made us a step by step map of authentic places to visit such as a charismatic guitar restaurant were locals dance and sing the night away! Our last days were in Granada where we walked through the Alhambra, the world´s most
famous Arabic Palace. It was hard to say goodbye after my two worlds had come together for those past few weeks. Yet I couldn´t be happier that my parents were able to meet all the people in my life here. As well as experience for themselves all that I have to give thanks for on this exchange. It was a trip that will stay with me for the rest of my life.March began with their return home and has now ended with the start of spring break. As I continue my Spanish class and not to mention flamenco dance lessons all goes well! My second semester went well and I continue to do well in my science classes. I´m searching state colleges overseas at the moment and I just received the SAT ¨telephone book¨ in preparation to when I´ll be taking it here in Madrid. (Thankfully other goodies were packed inside to encourage the studying). Other than that finals kept me busy and a visit from Kaylee´s family as well! I hope all is going well wherever you´re reading this from and as always I´m sending many hugs over the miles!
Love, Shayna